Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ravenblack - New album

For the last five years I have been composing music under the influence of Steampunk.
Since Steampunk is not fully formed as a musical genre, I am taking part in developing steampunk music along with all the steampunk musicians in the world.
The wide variety of music styles under the steampunk umbrella, from Dr. Steel and Professor Elemental to Unwoman, From Abney park to Steampowered Giraffe or Victor Sierra simply cannot be put into one category.
In the end there probably will be a Steampunk music style, formed and categorised like all other music genres in the past. But what will it be eventually? Does it need to be categorised?
Many musicians I know want to be free from "the box" and make their own music without putting it into one style. In Iceland we have had many successful self-created artists that have been pathmakers for others.

I decided to make Steampunk music and keep it to the Steampunk style, trying to find the sound, the style and the experience.
At first I used sampled instruments and sounds that imitated the 19th century instruments but I was never fully satisfied with it.
After a while I made the music as simple as I could with only a guitar and the voice and the outcome is the first Steampunk CD in Iceland.
https://www.karolinafund.com/project/view/1163
For each song I've chosen a guest instrument to add more character to the music and hopefully I am on the right track.
I have already made enough songs for my next album but this one is somewhat more precious to me as for how long it took to create.
Now I am founding the production of my album at the Karolina crowd funding site and today I spent in a recording studio and for the next three days we are going to be recording the songs, mixing and adding icing on the cake with various instruments.
Next Sunday I will release the first song fully mastered at my Bandcamp site and youtube.
This is the life :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment